All messages sent using the RMail® service are transmitted as Registered Email™ messages and return a Registered Receipt™ email record to the sender to certify and prove email delivery, content, timestamp, without requiring any compliant action from the recipient. For each message sent, the sender receives the Registered Receipt™ email record within two hours of sending, which is a self-contained record of proof of delivery with delivery timestamps, open tracking, proof of content delivered, and proof of encrypted delivery.
The Registered Receipt™ email has the capability to authenticate and accurately reproduce the original email and attachments, including any attached disclosures, which satisfies the E-Sign Act’s retention and accurate reproduction requirements. The Registered Receipt™ email can be provided to third parties and used to authenticate its content and attachments.
A Registered Email message may be sent encrypted or configured to record a recipient reply or consent.
Fast Facts about Registered Receipt™ Email
1. It is only sent to the sender. Special receipt routing is available.
2. It is stored in the “RMail Receipts” subfolder of the inbox. This folder was created during the installation process.
3. The RMail service does not archive the sender’s email or attachments.
4. RMail does not store a copy of the Registered Receipt email.
5. It is issued within two-hours or less for 100% of RMail messages sent. The exact time varies depending on the number of recipients and if the email was detected as being opened.
6. The recipient cannot prevent RMail from issuing the receipt to the sender by actions or server settings.
7. The Registered Receipt™ email is roughly 1.5x the size of the message sent due to the cryptography used to maintain its integrity.
8. It may be authenticated if required for additional verification:
- To prove its integrity
- Only when it is stored in email format (not PDF) and all attachments in place
- For as long as the sender keeps a copy of the receipt
- Even if the sender discontinues service
The Registered Receipt™ email is transmitted by standard email when the size is under 10MB. The Registered Receipt email is transmitted using RMail’s File Share service when the receipt size exceeds 10MB. Some plans allow users to configure this setting.
Example of the Registered Receipt™ Email
Standard size Registered Receipt™ (<10MB)
Large size Registered Receipt™ (>10MB) via File Share download
To learn more read article Understanding each section of the Registered Receipt Email