RMail can detect, in most cases, if an email is opened using a variety of open detection techniques. If the email is opened after the Registered Receipt™ email has been issued to the sender, and the delivery status for a recipient is either “Delivered to Mailbox” or “Delivered to Mail Server”, the sender may receive a separate Open Receipt to indicate the updated status for the sender.
The Open Receipt email is a durable record may be forwarded and shared with the recipients to resolve any differences surrounding the open status without being corrupted. The Open Receipt email may be authenticated at any time to provide the sender, or disputing party, with a verified copy of the open detection logs recorded for that message.
This article covers the following topics:
Fast facts about the Open Receipt
1. The Open Receipt email reports the open status for the identified recipient email, not all recipients of the original message.
2. The RMail system is not able to detect all cases an email is opened.
3. The Open Receipt email is only sent to the sender. Special receipt routing is available.
4. The RMail service does not archive the sender’s email or attachments.
5. RMail does not store a copy of the Open Receipt email.
6. Open Receipt emails may be sent during the open detection period between the time the Registered Receipt email is issued and 30-days from the date of sending.
7. The Open Receipt email may be authenticated:
- To prove its integrity
- Only when it is stored in email format (not PDF) and all attachments in place
- For as long as the sender keeps a copy of the receipt
- Even if the sender discontinues service
8. A sender will not receive an Open Receipt email for a recipient address showing the status “Delivered and Opened” on the Registered Receipt email.
9. The Message ID on the Open Receipt will match the Message ID on the Acknowledgement Email and the Registered Receipt email.
Open Receipt in Detail
The following section breaks down the Registered Receipt email into its components.
- Subject: Delivered and Opened: <Original email subject>
- From: friendly name: Receipt
- From: email address: email@example.com
- To: Sender's email address
- DeliveryReceipt.xml: This file contains the information inside the Open Receipt email in XML format.
- HtmlReceipt.htm: This file allows the sender to view the Open Receipt email in a web browser. This file also contains a copy of the receipt and all the open transmission data in an authentication-ready cryptographically sealed data format. This attachment is required to verify the receipt.
- Message Subject: This is the sender’s email subject
- To: This is the address of the recipient that opened the email
- Time Sent: The time the email was received by the RMail Cloud (UTC time zone)
- Time Opened: The time the email was opened by the recipient (sender's local time zone)
- Tracking Number: This is a unique number assigned and used to identify this specific transaction. There are no two Message IDs that are the same.
- Network ID: This is the sender’s network server identification address
- Client Code: If a sender assigns a Client/Reference code to the email at the time of sending, the code will be located in this row.
- Features Used: It details which RMail features were used when sending the original email.
Delivery Audit Trail
The Delivery Audit trail is a recording of the Internet open detection transaction metadata. This information is used to determine the message was opened and all associated times.